I’m happy to kick off the weekend with a new video! I was craving refried beans and hot peppers (what else is new?) so came up with this visually-awesome twist on a burrito. Enjoy!
- 1 vegan pie shell (homemade or store bought; I used Mrs. Smiths frozen crust)
- 1 can refried beans (make sure they do NOT have gross LARD in them!)
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 can black beans, rinsed
- handful chopped fresh cilantro
- salsa or chopped tomatoes
- chopped green onion (scallions)
- avocado slices
- fresh lime juice
HOW TO: Bake the pie shell first! Spread the refried beans evenly in the shell. Add onions, peppers, and black beanns, cilantro, tomatoes or salsa, and green onions. IF BAKING: Now is the time to put it in the oven. You just want to “heat it up”, so try baking for about 15 minutes at about 375, and cover with tin foil. BAKING OR NOT: Arrange avodaco slices in apretty design on the top, garnish with any other ingredients. Squeeze lime juice on top, being sure to get it on the avocado. Serve immediately!
* After making this video, I took this on a picnic and ate it cold. It was really delicious that way! The avocado kept fairly well thanks to the lime juice.
*If you are going to wait a day to serve, it will store well in the fridge (and the flavors will meld together well!). Just be sure not to add the avocado until right before serving.
AND: If you’re in the Valley, tonight (Friday April 23) from 5-7pm Marie Rodale of thee Rodale Press (Runner’s World, Women’s Health, Alicia Silvertone’s vegan wonder-book The Kind Diet) will be signing her new book, “Organic Manifesto: How Organic Farming can Heal the World, Feed our Planet and Keep us Safe” at Moravian Bookshop on Main St. Bethlehem.
You can find more information ABOUT THE BOOK HERE.