For a list of even MORE vendors, take a peek at our 2014 Vegan Musikfest post, with a walk-through of the entire fest. Most vendors are still here in 2016!
And for more Lehigh Valley + Eastern PA vegan things, check out:
- The food-centric Save the Kales! Instagram account
- And our active private Facebook group: Team Save the Kales!
Top 5 Vegan Musikfest Foods 2016
1 . VEGAN TACOS – Ticas Tacos, near Volksplatz, North Side
Hello, lover. Unofficially touted as “The Best Food of Musikfest 2016” by vegans and non-vegans alike, if you only get one stop, make it Ticas Tacos. This is fresh, thoughtful food with a ton of flavor. The standard vegan taco comes with: black beans, hominy, sweet plantain, pickled red onion, pineapple pico, and chipotle vinaigrette. Order one or ten, sold individually at 4 Tickets ($4) each.
Order Tip: Can also be made into a large BURRITO. Or ask for vegan “loaded fries”.
2. KIMCHI REUBEN (vegan) – Bees Knees Grille, near Volksplatz, North Side
Marbled rye toasted in coconut oil, hugging spicy small-batch kimchi, tempeh, melted vegan cheese and a little vegenaise for added creaminess. Served warm, sloppy, and delicious. This is an average size sandwich (not HUMONGOUS like much of the Musikfest food), but it’s delightfully messy and most importantly, quite tasty. A great meal that won’t leave you so full you can’t eat something else later. More snacks > less snacks, yeah?
Order Tip: Ask for it made vegan! They have dairy cheese, too, so be specific.
3. CHOCOLATE DIPPED CHEESECAKE – Zuzu Confectionary, near Volksplatz, North Side
This is a yummy slice of vegan cheesecake on a stick, dipped in dark chocolate, with options for added toppings like sprinkles or peanuts. Cheesecake is made by the talented and lovely Sweet Doe Bakery, so obvs. it’s delicious! This stand has a ton of vegan options, though, so check out the gourmet popsicles if you’re not feelin’ creamy chocolate on a piece of wood.
Order Tip: You can order with or without chocolate and extra topics are $1.
4. AW SHUCKS CORN – North + South Sides, Multiple Stands
Leave it to a bunch of folks in Pennsylvania to be ENTHRALLED with corn. Eating this (and anticipating it for a year) is a ‘Fest rite of passage. This typically smothered-in-dairy snack is easily made vegan if you ask for it. Go see what all the fuss is about, and prepare to see more social media comments on your photos of CORN than photos of your children.
Order tip: No butter, no cheese. The other spice is vegan!
5. ISLAND NOODLES – North + South Sides, Multiple Stands
Carby thick noodles and veggies all stir fried together in a massive wok, with lots of sriracha on the condiment bar. Add as much as you want (all of it?). These are easily accessible no matter where you are inside the ‘Fest. They travel well if you need to use up food tickets, as the cardboard container folds up and closes for a BONUS SNACK later.
Order tip: Veggie with no meat.
I don’t have photos, and anything with a “*” means it should be vegan but haven’t asked them personally, so just check in. Let us know if you find out, mmkay?
South side Mentions!
- CHIPS & GUAC – Cactus Blue, near Steelstacks by Americaplatz/Levitt Pavillion
- *CHICKPEA POPCORN – Fud Truck, on street by Americaplatz/Levitt Pavillion
North Side Mentions!
- SAMOSA EMPANADAS – Viva Empanada, Plaza Tropical
- FROZEN APPLE CIDER – Sweet Granny’s Kettle Corn, near Volksplatz
- *SMOOTHIE IN A PINEAPPLE – Island Expressions, Festplatz
Remember to check out:
- Save the Kales!: Instagram account and #lehighvalleyvegan (and thanks to friends for submitting photos!)
- Facebook group: Team Save the Kales!
- Say hello: My personal instagram
- Use #veganmusikfest on instagram and twitter!
More updates will be made as Musikfest continues, so check back!
Thanks to the Artsquest Marketing department for being so darn nice, and helping me scope out the vendor list. I hope you get to treat yourselves to some tacos.
I WISH YOU JOY, MERRIMENT, AND HEADACHE MEDICATION. xo